Sunday, December 11, 2011

Joy to the World!

DITL Sheep...Delight in The Lord
Does this typify you today? Are you one of God's joyful sheep? Maybe not so much. You may have experienced a shearing lately, or possibly you have had the wolves after you, your tail may have been cut off, or someone has tried to make mutton stew out of your carcass.

Life is not easy for a sheep, but it can be joyful in a different sense than the feelings of great pleasure. A complete joy comes from remaining in the love of God and by loving others. That is what Jesus said in John chapter 15. As part of the flock, we will never have it easy, but in the midst of life we can have green pastures and still waters. Jesus said that we are His sheep and we know His voice and we will follow.

I write this as a reminder to you, and to myself, especially on those days that I feel like one of those dumb sheep that don't know which way to go. Take comfort that none of us know which way to go. That is why we need a shepherd, Jesus.

So, try to think of it this way: Our fleece will grow back, our Good Shepherd will protect us from the wolves, you look kind of cute with your tail bobbed, and most stew pots are really too small for our carcasses.

Be Joyful today as we celebrate the third Sunday in Advent counting down to Christmas when we will sing "Joy to the World !" which is really more about His second coming, but oh well, His sheep will sing on anyway.

Psalm 9:1, 2 The Message:
I'm thanking you, God, from a full heart,
I'm writing the book on your wonders.
I'm whistling, laughing, and jumping for joy;
I'm singing your song, High God.

1 comment:

Tom Miller said...

I wish I looked better when I do my "pirouette" :)